Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ode to a Bus System

(or Riding Buses in Rome)

Over the years I have avoided riding buses in Rome. It might be my Midwest upbringing or just stubbornness that I can walk faster to where I want to go. Besides, unlike men, I never get lost! However, this year, age and a broken toe have encourage me to look for other modes of transportation than my aching feet.

Rome has a very efficient bus and metro system. The Metro has always been my first choice but my current apartment is not convenient to a Metro stop. So today, 3 days before I leave Rome…I capitulate and take the bus.

The first bus I took was the 117 bus. This is a micro-bus with only ten seats and standing room. On previous trips I have used it. It and its sister Bus 116 navigate the small narrow streets of old Rome. They pass through narrow walls sometimes only inches away from their side mirrors. (I know I was once almost knocked over by one of those side mirrors.) These buses are fun to ride. If you are unfortunate enough to occupy a standing room only spot, they are almost like riding a standing roller coaster. But, I digress.

Today, Bus 117 was only slight occupied and I was able to observe, in comfort, its meandering route though old Rome. We started a San Giovanni en Laterno, then up to the Celio, down to the Colesso, up again on the Esquiline, through a tunnel under the Quirinale, past Piazza Spagna and around Piazza del Popolo. For a patient, unhurried tourist it gives a great view of prominent city sites. I chose to depart this bus at Piazza del Popolo and walk the length of the Via del Corso because shopping was on my agenda. If I had chosen to stay on the bus it would have gone the length of Via del Corso, to Piazza Venezia then it turn up Via Nationale, take a jog around the Mercati Traiane, then Via Cavour and Via Imperiali, and past the Colesso again and finally up Via San Giovani en Laterno and the end of the bus route.

In an adventurous mood, I decided to try Bus 628. Over the last 4 weeks, I had seen it numerous places as I walked through the city. But in a city with various one way streets and street names that change every few blocks, it was hard to determine what was the actual route from the bus stop signs. Fortified with the mind set I had nothing to lose, I got on Bus 628 near the Piazza Colonna on the Corso. Off we went: First through the Piazza Venezia; down past the Teatro Marcello; past Tempio di Ercole Vincitora and Tempio Portunous; up Via del Circo Massimo with a view of the Circus and the Palatine Hill; down the Viale del Terme di Caracalla and a view of the bathes; up Via Druso; through the Roman Walls at Porta Metronia; down Via Panonia and right to my front door in Piazza Epiro.

For 2 euros I traversed all the seven hills of Rome and viewed most of the major sites of Rome. I still love to walk but it is nice to travel like rest of the Romans for the short time I get to pretend I am one.



1 comment: